Friday, November 14, 2008

Reception Raucous

I have been trying so hard to find the perfect place for our wedding reception, but I've come up against a lot of roadblocks.

I originally had my list narrowed down to four places:

The Blacksmith Shop
The Library Ballroom
The Sidney Lanier Cottage
The Lee Alumni House

I had high hopes for the Alumni House, since both the groom and I were alums of the college we thought it would be an appropriate and commemorative setting. My planner nixed the Alumni House because apparently the school hasn't kept up the place very well in recent years, and she said she wouldn't recommend it to anyone until they make renovations. I trust my planner very much, so I take her advice very seriously. One down, three to go.

My planner set a date for me to come and view the Blacksmith Shop, but I went and checked it out online first. Then I noticed they have a calendar of events online, and I also noticed that our date was already booked for something else. There goes that idea. Only two left.

Well, I called the Sidney Lanier Cottage today and spoke to a very nice man about having the reception there. I told him how many people I expected, and he informed me that the number was right at capacity. Then he also informed me that dancing was not allowed... C'mon, really? I took down his name and number though, in case one of our moms would like to use it for a shower or rehearsal dinner.

Last stop, the Library Ballroom. I looked them up online - www.libraryballroom.com - and it's quite nice! It's been completely redone, and I think it would be a nice place to have the reception.

The groom and I go to get a view of it next week and schedule the date (which I checked online, it's still available). So hopefully, I will like it as much in person as I do in pictures.

1 comment:

colbymarshall said...

Oh, the Library Ballroom is beautiful...it's where Stu and I had our lessons until he left for college and I'm about to start back up with new partner...but, point is, it's a bautiful space!